iPhone 13 Pro Max review: Display
- 120Hz ProMotion display delivers smoother performance and animations
- Brighter screen easier to read outdoors
The biggest upgrade to the iPhone 13 Pro Max’s display — and biggest upgrade overall — is the new ProMotion display. This 6.7-inch panel can dynamically scale its refresh rate from 10Hz to 120Hz, which results in smoother overall performance and animations.
iPhone 13 Pro Max review: Cameras
- New sensors let in more light for brighter images
- More powerful 3x optical/15x digital zoom
- Compelling macro mode
The iPhone 13 Pro Max has a bigger camera array for a reason. The main wide camera is Apple’s largest yet at 1.9μm pixels (up from 1.7μm) while offering a f/1.5 aperture, which is rated to deliver a 49% more light thant the iPhone 12 Pro Max. And the ultrawide camera offers a larger f/1.8 aperture (was f/2.4 for iPhone 13 Pro Max) for brighter pics while offering a wider field of view.
iPhone 13 Pro Max review: Video and Cinematic mode
- Cinematic mode steals the show with automatic focus and bokeh
- ProRes support for more creative control
The Cinematic video mode on the iPhone 13 Pro Max is so good that you’ll feel like a mini Spielberg. That’s certainly how I felt after shooting several clips that apply a bokeh effect to your footage and automatically switch the focus to multiple subjects depending on what’s going on in the frame.